The music department offers awards to encourage the following:
- Participation in the music program for all 5 years of high school.
- Service to the music community at the school.
- Excellence on their chosen instrument(s).
- Expand musical understanding by studying more than one discipline to a high level of musicianship.
Course awards are presented to the “top in class” for each grade 12 course (Concert Band, Jazz Band, Concert Choir, Strings, Vocal Jazz).
- Above 90% (terms 1 and 2 of grade 12 year)
- Excellence in musicianship (instrument or voice)
- Musical leadership demonstrated
Book awards are school sponsored awards presented to grade 12 students who are community leaders in the music department.
- 85% or higher (terms 1 and 2 of grade 12 year)
- Outstanding dedication and leadership towards the music community at Point Grey
Darren Jacobsen Memorial Bursary
Awarded to a grade 12 student who is continuing music education at the post secondary level. This bursary is a cash award which is generously supported by the Jacobsen family.
- Must be continuing in music at the post secondary level.
Musical Excellence on instrument/voice, and acceptance into a post secondary music program.
Certificate in Music
Awarded to students who have participated in the Point Grey Music Department since the grade 8 level in any area of study.
Diploma in Music
Awarded to students who have taken 4 music courses at the grade 11/12 level. Must maintain a “A” average in all 4 courses.
Diploma in Music with Distinction
Awarded to students who have taken 6 or more music courses at the grade 11/12 level. Must maintain a 90% average in all music courses.